Find a Way To Follow!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Scotchy Scotch, vol 8

It’s time for another visit to the pub, another exploration into the joys of Scotch. The last few expressions we’ve enjoyed have featured a bit of sweetness, so today I thought I’d visit the opposite end of the scale. Sometimes, you want to savor a sip of something that slaps your taste buds into next Sunday. If that’s what you crave, look no further than Laphroaig.

A bold expression

I’ll admit I’m not very expert on multiple expressions of this fine Scotch. I’m familiar only with their 10 year old, and have not tasted of their quarter cask or 25 year expressions.

That being said, the 10 year Laphroaig is definitely memorable. It’s like that time you decided to party with those punk rockers with blue and green Mohawks in the abandoned subway tunnel, or the time you were thrown into a pit of starving wombats with only a shop-vac for defense. You might not do that every day, but you damn sure remember it for years to come. It’s a man’s scotch, or a very brave woman’s. It is not for the faint of heart or the bland of palate.

The nose is a powerful smoky assault, either scary or satisfying dependent on your personal leanings. A sip of Laphroaig reveals a very peated water, very earthy and smoky. Being an Islay Scotch, it also throws a saltiness across your tongue.

Laphroaig is one of the classic malts, and is also a very affordable Scotch. It clocks in around my neighborhood at about $40 per bottle. It is definitely not an introductory Scotch, though, just as Cabernet Sauvignon is not introductory wine.

Laprhoaig…remember it, and Slainte!

3 comments:

  1. I have never actually tried Scotch. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jumble...well, then, I wouldn't start with this one. :) Good starter scotches are Scapa, Dalwhinnie, and Macallan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My God. It's brilliant. I'm going to use a shop-vac in every near-death encounter. The next time I'm challenged to a duel, that can and WILL be my weapon of choice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...