Find a Way To Follow!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Things I Hate, vol 6

Behold: IKEA. For some, it is a Mecca of low cost, unpronounceably named items. It is, to them, a veritable playground of shopping ecstasy, with row upon row of knicks, knacks, and furniture. I, however, say fuck that. For my dollar, the very thought of IKEA fills me with more dread than a trip through a TSA checkpoint when the screener has cold hands and is standing under the mistletoe.

You see, IKEA is laid out by the same geniuses that design rat mazes and Dungeons&Dragons modules. The floor plan is designed to coax you into seeing everything there is to see, as if shopping for home furnishings were some form of vacation. And perhaps it is sexist of me to say so, but this is the quickest way to piss off men everywhere.

Typical IKEA layout, lost lemmings.

A trip through IKEA is an experience; watching lemmings follow each other past the large arrows on the floor into each and every department and display. I am not a lemming, following hitherto and yon, seeking all that I may gather unto me while driving my credit line into the stratosphere. Nay, I am Dangerboy!, Hunter not Gatherer, and I desire to beeline to the object I wish to buy, then directly to the checkout, only taking the scenic route if it happens to meander through a taping of America’s Next Top Model: the nude edition. I do not wander in merchandise. Ever. (Video game and hardware stores notwithstanding because they don’t fucking count.)

After making it through half the store, I begin muttering things. Wifefish looks on indulgently as I speak seemingly in tongues. “Don’t make me angry. You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry”.

“What dear?”

“Nothing, dearest love! Mumble grumble.

I start fantasizing about ways to shorten the distance from Flugsmergens in kitchen to Darvasnavels in bedding, and realize the best way might in fact involve gamma radiation and Bill Bixby.

Dangerboy SMASH!!!

See, I think IKEA has a great plan, but like Jedi mind tricks, it only works on the weak willed. Force everyone to look at everything, and they just might buy more. Suffice to say I subscribe to the Dark Side of this philosophy, and will gnaw off some of my more useful parts to avoid such a plan like some deranged Sith-inspired coyote.

There’s a restaurant somewhere around the halfway point of their dull grey arrowed version of the Yellow Brick Road, and by the time you get there you feel like Scarecrow anyway, as all semblance of grey matter has long since trickled out of your ears back at the Flinginsvardtgubens. I wonder about some of the items on sale at said restaurant…from monstrous hot dogs to what the fuck ever a lingonberry is to the “Kottbullar”. I don’t know if these “Kottbullar” are actually Swedish meatballs, or a diabolical plan hatched by two lab mice to TAKE OVER THE WORLD with sentient orbs of meat.

Kottbullar Kommandos enacting their plan

But alas, IKEA stocks items that really are inexpensive and even useful. And so it comes to pass that I blindly follow along with the Wifefish as we visit Merchandise Mordor. My attention meanders like a game warden at a fishery. My desire to be anywhere else multiplies like unsupervised guppies. I twitch so much that passersby start saying “Don’t tase him, bro!”

My typical IKEAxperience. The things we do for love.


Perversely, Wifefish wants me to write that “she does not support your opinion of Ikea and she thinks it’s a magical fairy land.” Truly, she flits about like Tinkerbell on meth, darting into short cuts only she knows about, emerging into mystical places within the IKEA that dispense mana as choirs of faerie children sing from on high and fill her with the Spirit of Shopping.

Wifefish dancing with unicorns and fairies at IKEA.

I’ll grant that I’d rather spend money at IKEA than Voldemart (Walmart), but I much prefer the Dangerboy method. This is a way of shopping IKEA that I firmly believe that many of us men should engage in as often as possible. It goes a little something like this: “You know, Wifefish, you haven’t gone shopping with your mom in a while. Oh, and I saw this Glubsnardt on IKEA’s website, wouldn’t it be great in Little Danger’s room?”

I know this seems sinister, even dastardly, but understand that I’ve no qualm with accompanying Wifefish on a shopping excursion normally. It’s that damned IKEA. I shout it out like Kirk shouts KHAAAAAAANNN!!!!! It is the bane of my existence.

And so I salute you, IKEA, but I salute you with one finger. May you rearrange your monsterless dungeon crawl before I farm your aisles for Experience Points.

Note to IKEA. Please don’t sue me. I actually buy a lot of your stuff, and I’ve even eaten the meatballs.

14 comments:

  1. Never been there, and now that you've described it, I'm not sure I ever want to go (not that we've got money to spend on furniture right now, anyhow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate going in that place. It's like "Cube" minus all the death but with all the anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never in my life been to Ikea. I don't even know if there is one around here. But the way you described it gave me a pretty good picture and I don't think I wanna go. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting.
    See, my step-dad is a fan of Ikea. He pronounces it with the same excitement and reverence that a school-age child pronounces "Disneyworld". Not just the concept... the store. Some of that might be the fact that we have to leave the state to see one, though.

    And I suspect that I would glaze over quickly and try to find the escape route or at least a side-quest to entertain myself. Ikea is nifty in principle, but sounds like it's not really the store for me.

    So I don't really think it's a gender-based thing. I like to shop, and I am a girl. However, I don't love shopping in every kind of store there is. My stepdad likes to shop, and he's a boy. He even gets pouty when my Mom goes shopping without him. And I would say that he's a pretty manly man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's my thing: it may be cheap comparatively to other retail stores, but I rarely, RARELY buy retail. It's a bad (good) habit I picked up from my mom. I will scour the thrift stores until I find what I need. It may take me a few months and several trips to find it, but I will find it and I will pay exponentially less than even IKEA.

    There may be a ding. It may need to be painted. A non-crucial part may be missing, but I don't care. I refuse to pay more than I decide the thing is worth, and I can't bring myself to spend more than $20-30 on a dresser or bookshelf.

    Hell, I hardly ever spend more than $10 on an article of clothing! My awesome red leather jacket that I wear everywhere was $15 and the only reason I spent more than $10 on that was because it was *leather*, and not crappy leather, either.

    I may not have the most beautiful furniture, but I don't buy the furniture to look at it. I buy it to use, and it serves its purpose at >$30.

    My $.02 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did someone say coyote?

    Lovin yer blog, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, hilarious!! And OMG soooo true! I start hyperventilating at the mere thought of being forced to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey great post.

    During my uni years in Melbourne I worked at Ikea for 3 years. Started off in the dreaded ball room where parents would happily drop off their screaming kids and someone would inevitably do a poo in the ball room and immediate evacuation required.

    Then to customer service, where the return rate for faulty goods was phenomenal.

    Then to furniture shpw room. I became quite handy with mr allan key.

    Men seem to hate it. Women love it mostly. Admit they have some great design ideas and the kitchen stuff is soooo cheap.

    Just never go on wet long weekend in the school holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merchandise Mordor and Voldemart? hahaha
    I loved this. Very funny. And even as a female, i HATE Ikea for the same reasons. I'm a very decisive shopper who likes to get my shit and get the hell out. So I'm not keen on their trail of breadcrumbs shopping plan.
    Visiting from the Weekend Rewind at the Pink Fibro :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hee hee, very funny! I love IKEA, I love flat packs and browsing and mazes etc. But I prefer to go on a weekday when the numbers of people doing the same are substantially less. We went once just after Christmas and it was the worst idea ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. I can't bear IKEA. Once I get in, it feels as though I'll never get out again.

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dropping in from Rewind to say hello.
    I stay away from IKEA and other "big box" stores. Department stores included. I think soon someone will take away my "girl card" since I despise shopping for the heck of shopping.
    Mila from http://hereundertherainbow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of Ikea more than I like the actual place. I get there and become instantly overwhelmed. If I could just pick up one room, transport it as is into my house, I'd be fine. But broke. Add all that shit up and it costs a fortune!

    Thanks,over from the Fibro - Bern ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the giggle!! I felt like I was reading my husband's mind! Dropping in from rewind on the Fibro. I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed your post.
    Nina
    http://helpmymumsatraveladdict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...