Find a Way To Follow!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Five Things I Think, May 2

1) I think that it was very touching to get a lot of beautiful comments and feedback on the "Today" post. We did a synchronized shot of Jaeger in his memory the other night, and whereas I may have preceded and followed it with other shots, it was nice to have that moment of sharing for a man who was truly one of the good ones. We'll all see you on some tomorrow, my friend. But forgive me if I'm selfish and hope it's a tomorrow a long way down the road.

2) I think the news is of interest today. Osama. BOOM HEADSHOT. Mark Twain had this to say many years ago: “I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.” Yep, that's about right. Raising a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA tonight in honor of our Armed Forces past, present, and future.

3) I think Little Danger has unlocked some great thing that was waiting inside of me, the same thing that parents everywhere experience. He grabbed his spoon from me with great authority yesterday and fed himself for the first time, though I still had to load it up for him and help him with the concept of taking the spoon OUT of his mouth to get the next bite. This is the most ordinary thing, and yet in my mind it's fucking awesome. Also he is clapping when there is applause on TV.

4) I think when I post things like #3, I feel like some people are thinking "I told you so", and others are doing the eyeroll I used to do when parents told me these stories. I think I'm comfortable with that.

5) I think it can be wonderful to reconnect with old friends. Played the new Mortal Kombat for a few hours yesterday with two friends that go WAY back. One I hadn't seen face-to-face for 8 years. I was grateful that those years didn't loom like a grey cloud, they just were. We had fun, doing essentially the same thing we did even more years ago when we all lived in the same apartment. Sometimes it's fun getting your ass kicked for a while.

4 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to the following three things:
    The " I killed Osama " book.
    The "I killed Osama " movie.
    The call of duty video game...where you can kill Osama .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they are thinking "I told you so", just remembering how they felt when seemingly normal developmental stages absolutely and completely rule your day. Wait until he learns to read. I was veklempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. The quote attributed to Mark Twain appears to be false. I have been suckered by a viral misquote. Well, whoever said it, still like it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...