1) I think the progress we’re making on the 1797 cabin is fantastic. A base log has been replaced, a sill log pulled and replaced with stone (to protect the overall structure), and most of the roofing supports sourced. It was hard and heavy work, and I was still pretty sore at bedtime Monday night. We might get this job done by our goal time frame of 1 year from start, which, for a guy as good at home improvement as Congress is at customer satisfaction, is one heck of an accomplishment.
2) I think I had a pretty cool Father’s Day. Little Danger got to see many DeLoreans, including a Back To The Future repro that was quite amazing, and they even set the time machine to his birthday. Too awesome, even though I didn’t get to take part in that adventure due to point #1 there…I was working with a crew of fantastic people while Wifefish possibly shouted “Great Scott!”
There was a surprise encounter with a B-17 on my way home from cabin work, and I collected Wifefish and Little Danger to tour said Fortress. It reminded me of a similar trip my Dad arranged for me, to the local municipal airport way back when, some 33 years ago. Recursive parenting awesomeness for the win.
We finished the day with a trip to a local brewhouse for some fantastic food at a reasonable price, some really good beer, and a complimentary pint glass inscribed with the date, which was another surprise. Suffice to say, the day did its level best to outdo my expectations in just about every way. It succeeded.
3) I think I’m tired of the news. Seriously, soul-suckingly tired. I remember when the news was given to us with a bit of gravity, a bit of respect, and a care for the facts. Now it’s all sensational.
A radio station I am not going to listen to anymore tipped me over the edge this morning, dropping a tag of a sentence fragment just before discussing the “Iraq situation”.
A deepened male voice, echoed up just like a monster truck commercial, announced “Turmoil in the Middle East!” as if I was supposed to buy a ticket for a seat, but only need the edge, this Sunday Sunday Sunday. I put in a CD. I’m tired of being shouted at, cajoled, marketed to, and annoyed. I just want to know what’s going on. Journalism may, in fact, be wheezing like a smoker on the stairs.
4) I think it’s ironic that my most productive day this week was a vacation day from The Job. I handled two clients in the morning for the new career, then went to the house and fixed a ceiling fan, vacuumed the floors, put away laundry, trimmed the fenceline, and even played a little pitch n’ catch with Little Danger in the front room. I was like some sort of goddamned superdomesticman. Behold, my feather duster of power, and the pruning shears of justice!
Then I went forth with the men-in-law and visited two taprooms at local craft breweries, and sampled many, many beers. I’m in love with the craft beer revolution. This, too, proved productive, as we managed to make some great connections with fellow beer enthusiasts, and we settled on a creative and awesome way for me to display the growlers I’m collecting in the Pyrate Pub.
5) I think I’m cautiously optimistic about the quality of JJ’s new Star Wars movie, but that ultimately I don’t care if it’s good or not. Bottom line is this: I will be able to take my son to an opening night of Star Wars in the theatre, something I never thought would happen. It could be a steaming pile of monkey shit, and I’d sit diligently through two hours of solid lens-flare to experience it with Little Danger.
But if Jar Jar shows up, I’m going after JJ with a vintage 1977 Millenium Falcon and bludgeoning him with it until he looks like he’s gone 3 rounds with a rancor. I’ll show up at his doorstep like a Gamorrean with a grudge. It’d be all Darth Danger up in his mansion. Just sayin’.
So, gang...what do you Think today?