1) I think I’m no fan of the effects of stress on the human body. The tail end of last week was a metaphorical shit sandwich served with a side of fuckyou fries and an extra large cup of “go broke motherfucker.”
Our washing machine kicked the bucket, or at least became nonfunctional enough that we can’t use it. Wifefish and I, both stressed to the gills, had one of our incredibly rare but always fiery Heated Discussions ™, and once the smoke cleared we realized we’d not gotten one inch closer to paying all the people that need paid.
Thus do I feel like a truck hit me. I could use a massage of the therapeutic kind, one of those that really digs the knots out, as opposed to those available at certain truck stops around the country. Not that I know anything about those.
On the plus side, I was able to work out some aggression by destroying the massive concrete sink that was doing nothing but taking up space in the laundry room via 10 pound sledgehammer. I refer to it as “percussive therapy.” It is hooked to nothing, and can be hooked to nothing in the foreseeable future, but was just sitting, canceling approximately 18 cubic feet of space in said laundry area. It won’t do that again.
2) I think it’s important never to take yourself so seriously that you’re not willing to hide behind ottomans with your 3 year old son portraying Iron Man to his Captain America. He kept yelling at me to “Get the bad guys!” and throwing his shield to me so I could take my turn hiding from their bullets. I guess he forgot that as Iron Man, I’m armored to the hilt and thus bulletproof. Or maybe he just wants to protect me as much as I do him.
This is an artist's rendering of how cool Little Danger and I are in real life. That's him on the left.
Either way, it was an absolute blast catching that foam shield tossed my way, beating down imaginary bad guys, and tossing it back to him so he could get the bad guys on his side of the room. Take that, Hydra.
3) I think it’s fun to send lead downrange. Wifefish and I hooked up with a good friend on Saturday and shot a few guns. Little Danger thus got his first instructions on the difference between toy and real, and why real guns are never to be used as toys, and always to be used safely. And not by him until he’s old enough, just like driving a car.
He was quite impressed with the gravity of the situation, staying with mommy or daddy while the other went to the firing line, and not complaining even one little bit. He did take a few shots at the target from said safety position with a bright green water gun, though.
For Wifefish’s part, she did pretty well as a first time shooter, putting some .22 rifle shots dead center…by which I mean 5 in the red center ring out of 13, and all 13 on the target. Not bad at all.
For my part, I managed to put in a good showing despite some time away from the range.
4) I think I’m building up to some true rants. I’m waffling between fatigue from the news and a desire for activism of late. I just get sickened by all the idiotic BS we the people put up with, and maybe it’s time for me to start getting it off my chest, instead of sticking my head in the sand. I know that may turn some folk off, so if I go that route I’ll try to keep it entertaining. If I do choose to engage in activism, I will not be supporting side A or side B, that’s for sure. I’m a 3rd party guy, through and through, and I yearn for a party strong enough to challenge the status quo…because, as Dr Horrible once said, the status isn’t quo.
Man, if only I had a freeze ray.
5) I think you should read this article. I find this reporter to be diligent and credible; what appears as occasional bias is in fact well-researched and documented. It’s not hard to see his personal feelings on the subject, but I’m going to give him a pass on this one, because cops killing innocents by accident (and dogs on purpose) is bound to piss someone off.
Now that you’ve read that, I’m going to let you know that I agree with every common sense proposal he makes in that article. I’ve met both kinds of cops: the protect-and-serve community cops and the tough-as-nails us vs them jackholes. I prefer the former, in nearly every situation.
It is inexcusable that we incarcerate such a high number of people for non-violent, and in some cases non-victim, crimes. Hell, I don’t mind tossing a thief in jail, but the fact that you and I have to pay for three hots and a cot for a guy who likes to doob it up a bit is kind of ridiculous. The fact that SWAT teams are busting in doors for recreational users, not even dealers but just pot smokers, is patently reprehensible.
Maybe it’s time for a change or two.
So, gang…what do YOU think? Oh, look, there's a comment button for you to share your thoughts...click it!